Onboard Leadership Trait


When I am on board ship, there are some leadership traits that I can make an example from such as from my Bosun from my second ship and also my Chief Officer also from both of my ships. 



My first Bosun is a Malaysian Bosun and his name is Amir (nickname). The leadership trait that I can make an example from him is that he always delegates the task to the person that is most suitable to do the job. Before we go to maintain the deck on every morning, he makes a group meeting with all the deck crew including me as a deck cadet and also my Chief Officer. The Chief officer will tell the Bosun what job needed to be done today and my Bosun will think ahead and delegates the job according the suitable person. If there is no person suitable or appropriate to do the job, he himself will do the job and he will ask for more extra help. Another trait that I can follow from my Bosun is that he is always take a good care of his crew. For example, if the ship is departed from the port in the morning or in the afternoon, he himself will ask permission from the Chief Officer and the Captain to take rest for today as to give the deck crew some rest because of the cargo operation that they successfully done in the port


Next is my Chief Officer from my second ship. Both of they have the trait that I can make an example from it that is open minded. If the deck crew or any other person have some problem with them, he is always open for some critics and tackle the critics in a professional matter. Also, before the deck crew go the maintain the ship in the morning, they always ask other crews if there is any other way to the maintenance successfully in a safely manner. Because of this traits, there are some positive vibes on board the ship and this makes the crew to work to their maximum effort as to not to let down the Chief Officer hopes. Even though my Chief Officer form my second ship is an Indonesian nationality, he do not have any some sort of problem with the ship crew regardless rank, races and experience. This trait also makes me want to be on board the ship much longer as I like to have positive vibes on board ship. 


source :- 'own'

Comments