Dry Dock Experience During Cadet

Cadet Dry Dock Experience
LNG Puteri Intan
Not all cadet will undergo this dry dock session during their cadet-ship. As others, I also wanted the same thing to happen which is to go the dry dock during my shipboard as a cadet. During my first shipboard service which I sailed on chemical tanker, Bunga Alamanda. That ship was schedule to enter the dry dock after my contract. Unfortunately, I was unable to enter the dry dock.

The same three person on the both side.

But when I got into my second ship which is a LNG ship, Puteri Intan, I was able to enter the dry dock. The dry dock took place in Malaysia which is in MMHE Pasir Gudang, Johor. It was easy for as my house was near the dry dock place. Not all will have the opportunity to experience this session.  Not to say that others has experienced, but there other who have enter the dry dock at other countries such as China and Singapore.

A picture with STBD Anchor

It was good to enter the dry dock as a cadet so that we can learn a lot. It will be a great experience to have within us as seafarer. Yes, it is true that during our first year we heard the stories of ship entering into the dry dock from our seniors and lectures. During the dry dock session, I learnt a lot and saw a lot of new things which the seafarer would not be able to see or repair at the sea.

Deck Team of LNG Puteri Intan

LNG tank is not a tank which we can enter during our ship at sea. Unless like a chemical tanker, we will be able to enter into the tank after we completely discharge the cargo. It will be a common thing in chemical tanker but for LNG, the tank is available to enter as it is in dry dock. It was a good experience for me to look the tank of both ship at my shipboard service it self.

The juniors with cargo enginner

Bringing the ship from the sea to the dry dock is not an easy process. For the navigation , it should be the same as how we navigate at sea but for the tank preparation before the ship arrive the dry dock is a hard process. There is big procedure for the preparation of the cargo tank from the normal loading to condition to the dock condition. I learnt on the process of preparing the ship to the docking condition. It will not be easy as it will take few days to fully prepare the ship. The process will be continue for 24 hours a day which will take at least three days. I was tired and it was fun working with all the ship personnel on preparing the the ship.

Deck cadets with fourth officer
 For those out there who have not experienced the dry dock session, you guys should grab the opportunity while it is still available. As a advice, before you report to the office for your first shipboard service, try to request for the ship that are going to the dry dock soon so you can learn more things. As I said, it will be fun and full of knowledge as you will learn a lot of new things.

The Juniors in the ship





Comments